For most groups, VoterVoice isn’t the main database used to store their supporters’ information, so the Upload Tool provides an easy way to keep your supporter data in VoterVoice fresh by performing bulk updates.
The Upload Tool allows you to update your contact list with information obtained from your internal database and/or other sources of contact information.
Choosing the File You Want to Upload
The first step in uploading a list to VoterVoice is choosing your file. Make sure that your file is in the .csv format (Comma Separated Values) and that each contact has an email address or some other Unique ID from your in-house database. From there—
- Select “Manage Uploads” from the People menu
- Select the “New Upload” option
- Select your CSV file
- Click the “Upload” button to start the process
- Select the column in your CSV that contains the email address or Unique ID of your contacts
- On the Preview screen, take a moment to review the breakdown of how many records will be updated, added, and removed from your list with the current upload
- Once satisfied with the preview, press “Continue” to go to the next step
Mapping Fields for the Upload
Now that we have the CSV file selected and uploaded for import, we are able to map your fields. The Field Mappings page has two major functions:
- Previewing your data
- Displaying how the columns in your CSV will match up to fields in the VoterVoice database
Next to each VoterVoice field on the left, you will see a dropdown box. You will also see a list of your field titles on the right. You may pick the title of your field from the dropdown box so that it matches the appropriate VoterVoice field. You are also able to drag the field titles from the list at the right to the appropriate VoterVoice field to match, as the GIF above illustrates.
Confirming the Upload
With your CSV file selected for upload and your settings determined for mapping your CSV columns to VoterVoice fields, the final step is to review any errors and confirm the upload.
- Any errors in the data will be shown on the next page
- You may choose to edit the CSV file to correct the errors or have VoterVoice discard the invalid information during the import
- You have the option to edit or discard errors for each record individually
- Once you’ve finalized your handling of errors, click “Continue.”
- The system will now perform the upload
When the upload is complete, you will receive a confirmation email.
The Upload Tool allows you to update your contact list with information obtained from your internal database and/or other sources of contact information. All you need to do is select the file you want to upload, map the fields in your file to fields in VoterVoice, and confirm the upload. These three steps will allow you to maintain accurate contact information for your records and communicate with them that much better through VoterVoice.